Current:Home > MyPoinbank Exchange|Prince William Privately Settled Phone-Hacking Case for "Very Large Sum" -Intelligent Capital Compass
Poinbank Exchange|Prince William Privately Settled Phone-Hacking Case for "Very Large Sum"
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 03:46:52
Prince William appears to have Poinbank Exchangediscreetly settled his own phone-hacking case against News Group Newspapers back in 2020.
Amid Prince Harry's ongoing lawsuit against the British publisher—in which he accuses their publications The Sun and the now-shuttered News of the World of gathering unlawful personal information and phone-hacking—new details have emerged, including claims of his older brother's private settlement.
According to court documents obtained by Reuters, which have not been confirmed independently by NBC News, Harry's legal team has stated a deal was reached between the Rupert Murdoch-owned company and Buckingham Palace on behalf of the Prince of Wales.
Per the outlet, the document stated in part, "It is important to bear in mind that in responding to this bid by NGN to prevent his claims going to trial, the claimant has had to make public the details of this secret agreement, as well as the fact that his brother, His Royal Highness, Prince William, has recently settled his claim against NGN behind the scenes," noting that NGN settled for a "for a very large sum of money in 2020."
According to Reuters, the document also quoted the Duke of Sussex's witness statement, in which he said the settlement was made to "avoid the situation where a member of the royal family would have to sit in the witness box and recount the specific details of the private and highly sensitive voicemails that had been intercepted."
Harry began legal action against NGN in September 2019.
The latest detail unveiled from his phone-hacking case comes amid his two other ongoing suits against British news publishers, including a defamation case The Mail on Sunday filed in 2022 and another lawsuit filed later that year against Associated Newspapers for "abhorrent activity."
NBC News has reached out to Buckingham Palace for comment and has not heard back.
(NBC News and E! are part of the NBCUniversal family.)
veryGood! (97848)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Eiffel Tower closes as staff strikes and union says the landmark is headed for disaster
- Frank Thomas blasts 'irresponsible' Fox News after network mistakenly claimed he died
- Rihanna and Kyle Richards Meet While Shopping in Aspen Just Before the New Year
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- States set to enact new laws on guns, pornography, taxes and even fuzzy dice
- How Dickens did it: 'A Christmas Carol' debuted 180 years ago, and won hearts instantly
- Brazil expresses concern over Venezuela-Guyana border dispute as naval exercises begin in area
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Rev. William Barber II says AMC theater asked him to leave over a chair; AMC apologizes
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Mexican president inaugurates centralized ‘super pharmacy’ to supply medicines to all of Mexico
- A look at Russian missile attacks on Ukrainian targets since the war began in February 2022
- Court in Canadian province blocks new laws against public use of illegal substances
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- 11 books to look forward to in 2024
- New York governor vetoes change to wrongful death statute, nixing damages for emotional suffering
- A 17-year-old foreign exchange student is missing in Utah; Chinese parents get ransom note
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Pair of former Detroit Tigers scouts sue team alleging age discrimination
See the massive rogue wave that crashed into Ventura, California, sending 8 people to the hospital
New York governor vetoes change to wrongful death statute, nixing damages for emotional suffering
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
US citizen inspired by Hamas sought to wage jihad against ‘No. 1 enemy’ America, prosecutors say
Live updates | Tens of thousands of Palestinians stream into Rafah as Israel expands its offensive
Browns receiver Elijah Moore back home after being hospitalized overnight with concussion